Saturday, April 16, 2016

35 Weeks and my Hospital Bags are Packed: The 2nd Time Around!

I posted what I packed in my hospital bag when I had Stella, and it was a pretty popular post so I decided to do an updated version for baby girl #2!  To see the original post click HERE.

I packed WAY too much the first time.  Granted I had an awful, unexpected C-section, so I might have used more of my stuff if I felt better, but probably not much more.  When I had Stella I took notes on what I didn't use and what I forgot (the original blog post has been updated to include them), so this time packing was a breeze!

One thing I did this time that I didn't with my first pregnancy was check my hospital's website.  They had a list of what to pack and what is provided, so I suggest looking into that to avoid bringing duplicates!  If you have strong preferences for your own items you can certainly bring them from home, just remember it's that much more to unpack and wash when you get home and more than likely you won't care less if you have your own pillow in the hospital!  But to each their own, bottom line is to pack what will keep you comfortable and happy during a scary and painful (yet beautiful) time.

Ok with that being said here's this bag's round up:

First up:  Mommy & Daddy's Bag (Clothes)

  • All items packed in Thirty-One Bag! (yep, same one as when I had Stella!)
  • 2 old sports bras and some disposable nursing pads (I am not planning on breastfeeding this time around.  I gave it my ABSOLUTE best shot with Stella but due to personal complications which shall remain personal I wasn't able to continue.  Therefore I am not trying this time.  However I am packing old bras and pads in case of leaks while my milk is drying up)
  • Good bra to wear home
  • Flip flops (purchased from Forever 21 for $2 so they can be tossed if they get ruined.  That sure happened with my slippers when I had Stella!)
  • 2 pairs of maternity capri leggings (from Target), 3 tank tops (from H&M), and a few comfy T-shirts to serve as lounge clothes/PJs (last stay I was in a hospital gown for the first 2 days and I plan to do the same this round.  Easier and don't have to worry about stains!  Then I have a few comfy outfits to wear when I am able to shower)
  • Going home outfit (leggings, tanks and a comfy shirt with my flip flops.  I strongly advise over-the-belly maternity pants or leggings in case you have a C-section.  These pants are the only ones that won't sit on your incision and irritate it)
  • This time I made Mark pack a few items.  Last time he didn't and had to run to Wal Mart.  I told him to plan on a 4 day stay (that's max for a C-section) and he packed underwear, socks, jeans, shorts, a few t-shirts, a sweatshirt, and his hygiene bag.
 Next up:  Mommy & Daddy's Bag (Toiletries & Misc. Items)
 
  • All items packed in Thirty-One Bag!
  • Lint roller (because I'm sure to take much of my German Shepherd with me)
  • A bag full of healthy snacks (Quest bars for protein, mixed nuts, and That's It! fruit bars), fiber wafers (trying to avoid the laxatives they give you this time and I heard these work great from another mama-you can find them in the pharmacy section of most stores) and some gum.
  • Make-up.  I packed my favorites that I am used to using this time (as opposed to the travel sized items I packed with Stella).  I recommend taking what you are comfortable applying if you choose to bring make-up.  I don't know if I will use everything, but I packed the bare minimum for me.  In my opinion make-up makes me feel better, and the pictures last forever so I am all about making myself look and feel good (as good as possible at this bloated miserable point haha).  I included primer samples, foundation, under-eye concealer, and setting powder (and I'll throw in 2 brushes last minute) for my face.  I am bringing my eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, eye primer (not necessary unless you have VERY oily eyelids like me), and mascara for my eyes.  For my lips I'm bringing a lipstick (not really necessary unless your lips are naturally pigmented ORANGE like mine!) and a gloss.  Again, not sure I will use all that but I'd like to have the option.  It all fits in a tiny make-up bag so no big deal if I only use a few items!
  • A travel mirror to do said make-up from bed.  Mine is really old from Mary Kay and it stands up in it's case (pictured).  This was a lifesaver when I had Stella because I sure didn't feel like standing in the bathroom and putting make-up on!
  • A small cosmetics bag full of toiletries:  face wash & wipes (face wipes are SO NECESSARY!  I didn't get to shower for a day and I was so desperate to wash my face immediately!), body wipes (when I couldn't shower last time I washed up with a rag and bowl of water, but I wanted a quicker option this time); travel sizes of  shampoo and conditioner (I just plan to use the baby wash and lotion for my body that the hospital provides, that's what I did last time), toothbrush (for me & Mark!) & toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, q-tips, and deodorant; chap stick; hair cream (sample sized because I'm not picky about my hair); and finally a few headbands, bobby pins & hair ties for getting my hair off my face during labor.
 Last but not Least:  Baby's Diaper Bag!


 
  • All items packed in black chevron diaper bag (I ordered this from Target for under $40!  The interior is red and has tons of pockets and includes the red changing pad pictured.  I originally planned to use the same one for all my babies so I splurged on an $80 bag for Stella, but it broke almost immediately.  You don't always get what you pay for, ugg!  I kept it through Stella, but wanted a new one this time and absolutely fell in love with this one.  I just hope it's better quality!)
  • 1 blanket (Aden + Anais swaddle blanket...I got this as a gift and am IN LOVE!  Stella still uses it sometimes so I might have to get another one eventually!)
  • Car Seat blanket cover (grey and purple).  Hopefully it won't be cold but it's always so windy out here and May is unpredictable so I want to be prepared!
  • Going-home outfit (dress, sweater and headbands.  because a girl's gotta have options!)
  • Swaddle wrap and headband (from Etsy).  She will just be in hospital shirts and blankets while we are there, but I wanted one outfit for when big sister comes to meet her for the first time so we can snap some pictures :)  
  • Hospital hat (because this one has a bow and it's way cuter than the basic ones they used on Stella)
  • And that is it!  Staying so simple this time for baby girl! 
  • NOTE:  We go to the doctor for an ultrasound in a few days.  If she is measuring big I will throw in a 3 month sized outfit to bring her home in.  The dress pictured is size newborn.  I only packed a 3 month outfit for Stella and it was HUGE.  You might want to pack one of each size to be safe :)
 Items to throw in last minute:
  • I jotted these items on a piece of paper and threw it in my hospital bag, that way I know what to grab at the last minute in case my water breaks again!
  • camera & charger
  • phone & charger (for Mark too)
  • tablet & charger
  • wallet...make sure insurance card is in here as well as any registration paperwork you might need (try to pre-register if possible to avoid paperwork while you're in the hospital)
  • glasses
  • hair dryer, comb and teasing brush
  • planner (so I have my calendar with me should I need it.  There's also a section for notes in the back, which is where I will record all the hospital information I want to eventually put in her baby book.  As you saw in the picture, I'm bringing Stella's Pregnancy Journal to use as a reference.  I didn't get a Pregnancy Journal this time.  Second child problems!)
And that's a wrap for this pregnancy packing post!  I hope it's helpful, and I will probably edit it this time around again if I find I forgot lots of things or packed too much again.  It sure is a lot less than last time though!

I always feel so much better when this step is done.  There are still several things I want to do around the house in the next week, but those are more wants than needs.  Prioritizing your to-do list will take some stress off should your baby come early, and then more than likely you will still have time to finish off your list after the essentials are done.  Happy packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment