Thursday, July 17, 2014

8 Month Update

It seems like it was just a few days ago that I was doing Stella's 7 month update.  Oh wait, it's because I was.  Trying harder to get them done on time from now on!  Off to a good start already, TODAY is Stella's "8 Month Birthday".  This has been a crazy and busy month!  It started off with a trip to the ER for me (allergic reaction to who knows what leaving my face unrecognizable and my body covered in hives.  so fun.); and also terrible storms and flooding in our area which managed to find its' way into our basement (we had about an inch of standing water, cleaning that over the 4th of July was a blast).  Glad those fiascoes are behind us!  Stella and I also started baby-sitting my nephew Ryder every other Monday.  He is such a character (2 1/2 years old) and it's nice for Stella to get some regular interaction with a little kid.  They get along so well and I really enjoy the trip to town to watch him.  I laugh all day, he is such a ham.  Stella also went swimming twice this month (33 weeks).  At first she was sticking her tongue in the water and splashing, but after a few minutes she cried very hard both times and I had to take her out.  She enjoyed people watching from the side in her bouncy chair, but didn't last long in the water.  I plan to try again in a few weeks, she loves baths so I'm thinking she'll adjust to the pool yet this summer.  We also made our first trip to the zoo this week with Mark's entire family and my sister & Ryder.  It was so much fun, Stella was very good and all the kids had a great time.  The weather has been in the 70's this week, the perfect day for the zoo!  It's also been so nice to turn the AC off and open the windows.  Fresh air is so good for the soul!
1st swim at great grandma & grandpa's!

where she spent most of her pool time :-)

hanging with Ryder while he colors

The Routine:
 Recently I made the switch to feeding Stella food twice a day (34 weeks).  She takes a 6oz bottle when she wakes up, 3 oz of formula and multi grain cereal with a fruit a few hours later, another 6oz bottle a few hours after that, and 3 more oz of formula with rice cereal and a vegetable around 4pm.  Before bed she gets another 6 oz bottle.  We still just mix one homemade food into the cereal.  I'm just not real big on going all out at first.  I introduce new foods often and am just enjoying getting her into good eating habits and slowly building on them.  So far Stella is a great eater and rarely fusses lately, even through the teething.  If it's not broken don't fix it :-)  This month we got rid of Stella's rocky bed (returned it to my friend, 30 weeks).  She now sleeps from 7pm-7/7:30ish am.  She takes a nap from 11-1 each day in her crib, and usually dozes off in her bouncy chair around 5:00 for about 20 minutes.  I don't do an afternoon nap because I want her to sleep at night and I like her early bedtime!  Right now this is working, but she does get a tad fidgety around 5:30 so this is when I take her outside for about an hour and she loves it out there!  I might try to adjust her schedule to allow for 2 shorter naps a day, but we'll see. 

A crazier-than-normal hair day today!

A few of Stella's favorite things:
  • Milestones:   At 32 weeks Stella started looking for dropped toys.  At 33 weeks she finally rolled over from her tummy to her back, but she doesn't do it often.  She's strong, just not motivated!  Her top 2 front teeth also poked through this month and the one right next to them is on its' way!  I didn't notice many teething signs this month; however she is taking teethers now!
  • Still loves bouncing herself in her chair!  This month Stella mastered bouncing herself with one leg AND she even figured out how to bounce herself by thrusting her chest/tummy up and down.  One smart cookie!
  • Playing "peek-a-boo" with blankets.  I love seeing that little smile when I move the blanket!
  • Sitting in her Bumbo.  She's been doing this for a while, but now I pile pillows around her so when she drops toys she can still reach them.  She can sit in that thing for hours!  Although I do rotate her often so she gets practice in different positions/toys and doesn't get bored.
  • Little sweetie figured out how to dance (34 weeks)!  I was playing the see-n-say for her (she just adores musical toys) and she started dancing every time "Old McDonald" played.  I have so many cute videos of her!   She's just so much fun.
    trying to teach her to sit on her own...

    ...but she managed to rip out the boppy and lay down for a nap!

    loving her new jumper!
Around the house:
  • I am happy to say that the second half of our summer is a lot less hectic than the first half.  As much as I love taking Stella places and going out, there is just something to be said for productive days and relaxing weekends at home.  We do have a few more fun summer events to look forward to, but in the meantime you'll find us working on the dog kennel, tending to the chickens, and enjoying the beautiful weather from the back deck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment