Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Homemade & All-Natural Whipped Body Butter


Having a C-section with Stella took a huge toll on my body...and I don't just mean the incision across my abdomen and extra 40 pounds hanging around.  It is hard to just bend over during your recovery (due to the location of the incision), so I didn't even bother putting lotion on after I showered.  I was so exhausted and sore after trying to balance myself while washing that my lotion didn't make it out of the cupboard for 6 weeks.  That was a horrible decision given it was the beginning of a freezing cold winter.  But hey, I was doing the best I could. 

This resulted in dry patches on my skin.  This is totally foreign to me as I've always had oily skin.  But they itched and looked awful!  Well, in my determination to get my body back I decided to do something about it.  As usual, cost and all-natural skincare are important to me, so I decided to make my own body butter.  I had saved a few different recipes on my Pinterest, so I decided to combine them into a recipe that would work for me.  Read on to find out how I made mine.

Ingredients:
1 cup shea butter (the best deal I found is on Amazon, find it here)
1/2 cup coconut oil (can find at any grocery store or on Amazon)
1/2 cup Vitamin E oil (this is what I used because I had some left that I'd picked up at Walgreens a   few months ago...but my body butter was oilier that I'd prefer, so to save money I will try to skip this step next time, or you can substitute extra virgin olive oil if you'd like)
Essential Oils of your preference (I didn't use any but can honestly say the body butter didn't smell the best...so next time I will put in about 25-30 drops of essential oils...I like Lavender for spring or summer and Peppermint for fall or winter.  My favorite brand is Now Foods, you can find it at Vitamin Shoppe or here)

Directions:
  1. Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a pan on the stove.  I did them together - it worked fine and only took about 4 minutes.
  2. Remove pan from heat and let cool for about 30 minutes.
  3. Stir in essential oils and Vitamin E oil (optional).
  4. Now the mixture needs to cool until it is partially solidified.  Pour it into 3 or 4 small mason jars (will cool quicker in smaller jars) and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes.  Mine was a little too solid when I pulled it out, so I just popped it in the microwave on defrost for about 20 seconds and it was fine.
  5. Using a rubber spatula, scrape mixture into large bowl and whip with mixer.  I don't have a big fancy mixer, I just used my $5 hand-held one from Wal Mart and it worked just fine.  It only took a few seconds for it to turn into a butter-like texture.
  6. Spoon butter into container of your choosing.  Mine fit perfectly in a large (quart) mason jar.
I slathered this all over after my shower this morning, and I must say it feels so luxurious!  Like I mentioned above, it is a tad oilier than I'm used to, so during warmer months I will probably only use this once a week (after my weekly exfoliating...which I just do with organic sugar-I keep a jar of sugar in the shower and use a scoop from Stella's baby formula to scoop out a small amount each time-it melts right into your skin from the warm water and works as well as any pricey exfoliator I've tried in the past!)  My pesky dry patches are soon to be history!!

No comments:

Post a Comment