Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2 Month Update

Stella's second month was consumed by the holidays, bad weather, and still trying to figure out how to be a mom!  We celebrated her first Christmas by spending Christmas Eve with my family (snacks and gifts with my immediate family and supper and gifts with my extended family on my mom's side).  Christmas morning we enjoyed cinnamon rolls at home and got ready to head to Mark's aunts for lunch.  After opening gifts there we headed to my aunts to introduce Stella to my dad's side of the family.  Christmas always seems to fly by! 


We somehow managed to find time to decorate for the holidays and even get a real tree!  So happy Stella's first Christmas was a while Christmas!
This winter has been AWFUL as far as the weather is concerned.  No more winter babies for us!  We've had several snow storms, tons of ice, and record breaking freezing temps that even our furnace couldn't keep up with (thankfully it was an easy fix).  LP is at a record high around here, thankful we filled up before prices shot up yet again!  I don't even want to take Stella out in this cold, which really adds to my cabin fever.  The roads have been so bad, we were even snowed in for 2 days at the beginning of the month!  Today is about 20 below with no warm up in sight for the next week at least.  I'm beyond ready for spring!

I did take my first solo trip when I was allowed to drive (4 weeks postpartum).  I ventured to....Wal Mart!  It was good enough for me, but honestly I started missing Stella when I got to the other side of the circle drive.  We both left her for the first time on New Years Day.  My mom watched her while we went to the local pub for a couple of hours to celebrate.  I enjoy our outings but it will be a while until I can leave her overnight!!  Mark did go on a hunting trip to Maryland for 4 days...and missed her like crazy!  Stella and I spent our girl time staying at my moms and visiting family.

The Routine:

We don't really have one yet.  I've still been trying to master the baby care basics before trying to structure our day.  She's still pretty little (although she did outgrow newborn sized clothes last week...but not newborn diapers!)  As I mentioned last month, I did switch to formula feeding.  She gets Enfamil Newborn formula and I use Avent bottles.  I am super happy with both choices!  The formula is pretty darn close to breast milk, and the bottles are easy to clean and prevent her from swallowing too much air.  She started out getting 3 oz at 4 weeks, moved to 4 oz at 6 weeks, and just graduated to 5 oz at 9 weeks...which means she's now in the big bottles with a little bit faster-flowing nipple.  Baby girl can eat!!  She cluster feeds throughout the day...every 3 hours like clockwork...and then sleeps for a big chunk of the night (anywhere from 6-8 hours, we are so blessed!).  She eats very efficiently, she's done within 10 minutes and has never fallen asleep during a feeding!  She's not a big burper, although we can get more out of her now since switching to the bigger bottles.  For some reason, she always cries and fusses when she's done eating for about 5 minutes.  Just her routine I guess.  All this efficient eating has led to great growth.  She weighed 9 lbs at her 1 month check-up and was up to 11 lbs, 6 oz today at her 2 month check-up, which puts her in the 60% for weight.  Last month she was 20" long and today she was 21" long, putting her in only the 15% for height.  I'm only 5'3" and Mark is 6'5", so it will be interesting to see how tall she ends up!  Her head was 15", in the 30%.  Baby's growing!

Much to my frustration, we are back in disposable diapers.  Stella kept wetting through her newborn cloth diapers.  I call her Mrs. Peabody because she soaks her diapers!  I did so much research but got no answers how to fix this issue.  I couldn't handle the stress of her soaking through, plus I didn't want her laying in pee (who does, right?) so we packed them up.  I'm going to give them a try next month when she should be big enough for her regular cloth diapers.  We will try our best to make them work, but if despite my best efforts they still don't hold up I will let it go.  Sort of like breast feeding.  In life you have to give it your all and try your best, but know when enough is enough.  These are just more of life's lessons for me to learn.  I wanted what was best for my baby, but if I'm stressed to the max I won't give her the optimal care and love she deserves.  A calm, happy mama is what's best for baby Stella.  So for now we love Parent's Choice diapers, Huggies Natural Wipes (that I tear in half to make last longer...and I'm going to try homemade wipes when I run out!), and her Angel Baby Bottom Balm for diaper rash (hers is actually just more red than rash).  On the poop front, she goes every other day about 2-3 times a day.  I kept calling the doc because it's so runny, but finally realized that's just normal for her.  She sure likes to toot, we get a kick out of it!  And, unlike when she was nursed, these diapers STINK!!  Good thing she's so cute and we have a diaper genie!

What a doll!  Look at all that crazy hair sticking up!!

A few of Stella's favorite things:
  •  Smiling! At 6 weeks she really started to smile in response to our faces and smiles.  Her favorite time is morning, it's so amazing to wake up to her giant smile!
  • More cooing, taking on different sounds and lengths...this started to develop more around 7 weeks.
  • Playing...around 8 weeks she really took interest in her playmat.  She loves to hit the rattles and rings, and tonight she actually grabbed her dangling pig rattle and held and shook it for a while.
  • Sucking her thumb.  She rarely takes her pacifier anymore, and when she does she usually rips it out after a few minutes and shoves her thumb in her mouth instead.  She hasn't figured out how to do it gracefully yet so her other fingers are all over the place, often poking herself in the eye!
  • Grunting.  We always say "there goes Cuda moving furniture again" because she grunts so much!
  • Holding her head up...although she hates tummy time, she can hold her head up while sitting.  We practice while I'm burping her, I let go and make her hold her head up on her own.  She does great!
Spending time with Grandma and cousin Ryder always makes Stella smile!
 Around the house:
  • Kaiser is doing extremely well with baby Stella.  He went from going nuts when she cried to letting out a big sigh...as if to say "Really, she's crying again?".  If she gets really worked up he still runs to check on her, but he doesn't panic.  My only concern is him accidentally stepping on her, so we're still on our guard, but only when she's playing on the floor.  He's a great dog and we're blessed to have him in our lives.
  • This month has still been a bit of a struggle for me, but not as much as last month.  I have been super busy catching up on shopping, cleaning, and doctor appointments.  I'm also still adjusting to being a mom and trying to get Stella's basic care down pat so I can develop a routine for her.  With that being said, I've gotten so much done this month, learned a lot from my daughter, and enjoyed her second month with us.  I have all the faith that everything else will fall into place during month three!
  • Mark and I are trying to find a new balance around the house now that we are parents.  With him working and me staying at home, we just want to be able to make the most of our time-be productive yet set aside enough family fun time.  It's a struggle to adjust, I'm not going to sugar coat it.  The good news is that we love each other more than ever and have great communication skills.  We've hashed out a compromise as far as child care goes, so I'll update next month on how that is going...
Kaiser's never too far from baby Stella...


No comments:

Post a Comment