Wednesday, December 18, 2013

1 Month Update

I can't believe Stella is a month old already.  It's so cliché, everyone telling you how time flies, but I must say how true it is.  The days and nights run together for me, and despite all the challenges it really only feels like she's a week, maybe 2, old. 

A few of Stella's favorite things:
  • Focusing on mommy and daddy's faces
  • Finally being comforted by our voices alone
  • Lifting her head during tummy time (she's very strong and can even lift it long enough to go from one side to the other...she can also hold it up while sitting in the chair!!)
  • Cooing and grunting...while awake, while sleeping, while eating...this is one vocal baby!
  • Kicking and grabbing onto things...she's very active
  • Eating, eating, and more eating
  • Sucking on a pacifier when she's not eating...still has that barracuda impulse to nurse 24/7!  This has led us to nickname her "baby cuda"
  • Sneezing
  • Hiccuping
  • Sitting in her bouncy seat and being rocked
  • Laying with daddy on the couch
  • Rocking with mommy in the chair

A few quick updates:

*I made the switch from breastfeeding to bottle feeding on Monday.  I ended up with an infection in each breast that hurt so bad it made me wish for the C-section pain back.  My doctor called in some medication for me and I have to go see her next week to make sure it did the trick.  I also have gone back to taking ibuprofen around the clock since I decided to quit nursing.  You can nurse through an infection, but other circumstances led me do decide to make the switch.  I was very disappointed that I had to stop, I really wanted to breastfeed, but I no longer feel guilty.  I was in pain, stressed, and pretty miserable.  I fought all odds to breastfeed for her first month, hopefully boosting her immune system a little bit, but I knew when enough was enough.  The switch has made me healthier mentally and (as soon as the infection clears and my milk dries up) physically.  In the meantime, I'm back to being emotional and in pain.  I made the decision to quit pumping cold turkey, which is more painful, but I didn't want to deal with this infection pain and continue pumping only to have pain all over again when engorgement sets in.  Might as well have all the pain at once!  So, just when I started to get some self esteem back, it's now time to soak through every shirt I own while putting cabbage in my bra to stop the milk production.  Smelling like sour milk and cabbage knocked me back down a peg or two...but I know I'll get there.  My "new normal" is just around the corner.  And in the meantime I have my sister a phone call away and a bottle of ibuprofen on my counter so I'm good!  I have noticed Stella spits up more with the formula and is a little fussier.  She has her 1 month check-up tomorrow so I have a whole other set of questions now, but I'm assuming she's bound to be a little fussier with the switch and will hopefully adjust soon!

*Stella's sleep patterns are still hit and miss.  Last night she fell asleep at 7:00 after a fussy afternoon/evening.  I woke her up at 11:00 to change her diaper (see below) and she fell right back to sleep until 2:00am!!  Then there are nights she's up every 2 hours.  She'll probably sleep longer now being bottle fed since formula stays in their tummies longer.  We shall see!

*We are still adjusting to cloth diapers.  They suit her better than disposable because the disposable stuck to her skin.  She was really red and had a rash, possibly the beginning of a latex allergy.  That has been resolved when we switched to cloth BUT we are having some leaking issues.  We're doing lots of research but she leaks up the back a few times a day.  Stella is a heavy wetter!  We're determined to make them work so hopefully by the next update we'll have it mastered.   That's my only issue with them.  I have no problems with smell, getting them clean, doing the extra laundry...none of that bothers me.  Just gotta fix the leaking issue.

*Stella's umbilical cord fell off during her newborn pictures when she was 2 weeks old.  It didn't bleed or anything.  Part had fallen off earlier in the week and she lost the rest at her photo shoot!

*It has been very cold and snowy during her first month.  We are expected to get another blizzard this weekend.  The cabin fever continues.  I think my next baby will be a Spring one :-)  I'm looking forward to the holidays so we can get out of both our PJs and the house!

The first month has brought many emotions ranging from joy to anger to happiness to frustration...and everything in between.  I'm looking forward to this next month- a New Year and a better routine with less stress in our house! 



No comments:

Post a Comment