Thursday, June 27, 2013

18 Weeks and I no longer fit in my pants!

It's been 5 weeks since I last posted about the pregnancy, and lots has changed since then!  I need to do a better job keeping up...  

Physical Changes:
I've read about all kinds of miserable symptoms and how much your body changes during pregnancy.  Now, granted I'm not quite halfway there yet, but so far I've been (kinda) lucky.  The main thing that's changed with me is the small basketball I now carry under my shirt (hence the kinda thrown in there, because I'm really big already...my niece swears there's 5 babies in there).  I've already gained 12 pounds and can expect to gain another pound a week until I'm done.  At this point I can't imagine supporting 22 more pounds.  A person who begins with a healthy weight/BMI should put on 25-35 pounds during a healthy pregnancy.  I think I'll be at the top of that range, but I do weigh myself each week to make sure I'm not putting on too much weight.  I've noticed that this extra weight (and giant increase in my blood content) really puts pressure on my back and feet if I stand too long, so I try to keep a close eye on that.  My other big obstacle with this pregnancy had been battling breakouts.  My skin was super clear and healthy before I got pregnant (thank you clean eating and pure beauty products!), but now I feel like I'm 15 again.  My dermatologist told me this is very common during pregnancy, but it's so frustrating because you can't use most products that help!  I think I'll do a post on the products I have been using during pregnancy soon, because I have been able to get my skin under good control.  Besides the basketball and the blemishes, the only other symptom pestering me has been exhaustion...I felt like I had mono for about 2 months.  I feel blessed I've only been subbing part-time, because I don't know how I would have done it if I was still putting in 10 hour days teaching, plus weekends like I did last year!  The mere thought of it makes me want a nap.  The first month wasn't too bad, and this last month has been better since I'm in the 2nd Trimester now.  Months 2 and 3 on the other hand...I made pretty good friends with the couch.

Emotional Outbursts?
Um...a few.  Once I just started crying for no reason other than how much I love my dog.  Yea, think that was pregnancy related??  I haven't felt too moody (although you might want to check with Mark to confirm that...) but of course there are the fears that come with bringing a life into this world.  My main fear is losing my baby.  I've known too many sweet babies that left us way too soon.  Losing our nephew was, and continues to be, the worst thing I've ever known.  But terrible things can happen, and do every day.  That's just a fact.  You can't let that stop you from taking chances, living your life, and enjoying the good things out there.  Which is exactly what we intend to do.

Staying Healthy:
Month 1 I did great.  Once I got over my double ear infection I was eating healthy, cooking daily, and doing my pregnancy DVD's I ordered on Amazon (2 yoga, 1 Pilate's, 1 cardio/strength).  Then the exhaustion set in for months 2 and 3.  I was too tired to get off the couch, let alone exercise, cook, or clean.  It was depressing.  I am always very active, Mark and I don't even have cable TV.  We rarely have lazy days.  I made it through the entire series of Sex & the City, plus both movies (and a fair share of terrible TV picked up by our antenna) during those two months.  I felt bad because I wasn't working and couldn't even keep our house in order.  It made me wonder if Mark was thinking how worthless I was (he wasn't though, it was just hard because I knew he didn't, and couldn't, understand how I felt).  Plus, even though I was never nauseous or sick, I still couldn't eat healthy.  All I wanted was grilled cheese, Spaghetti-O's, mac & cheese, and rice.  Month 4 brought some much anticipated relief from my carbs & couch binge.  I am back to eating healthy (I'll post more on that later) and exercising most days of the week.  Oh, and I actually broke it off with the couch too!  Figured it was time to start getting ready for baby...

Preparing for Baby:
Right now our main focus is getting our house finished.  We've lived here for 8 months now and still have boxes laying around that haven't been unpacked!  The nursery became the junk room, so right now I'm working on clearing that out so we can paint it and get new carpet in the bedrooms.  After that we can start picking out some baby items, which I'm really excited for because I haven't bought one thing yet for the baby!  Other major projects we have include:  picking up the basement (gives me a headache just thinking about it.  that's where 2/3 of our stuff ended up since we lost over 1,000 sq. ft. with the move), building an outdoor kennel for the dog,  installing smoke detectors, and putting up our inflatable pool (OK, that's a fun one).  We have lots of little odds & ends to do too, so these next 5 months will be really busy!

Belly Pics:
So you don't think I was lying about the basketball...


We go next week for our ultrasound and doctor appointment.  I'll make sure to do a post after that because we'll know the sex by then!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment