Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Am I really going to be a mommy?

Mark and I are the type of people who (usually) make decisions very, very carefully.  We just feel so much better knowing things are safe and secure before we make the leap.  For the past few years we got the classic question a million times:  When are you going to have kids?  I would always tell them that it took us 11 years of being together before we got married, did they really think kids would come the month after the wedding?  That usually held them off for a while!

Our lives were just too hectic.  We both had time-sucking jobs that left us tired, stressed, and irritable at the end of the day.  Our free time was always spent working on our home.  Baby talk wasn't even on the table.  Our recent move back home changed all that.  When I left teaching, I really missed being around kids.  While our new house needed our own personal touch to make it a home, it didn't need any major work (a first for us!).  Mark's job had him working way less hours with much less stress.  I wasn't working at the time, so I was free to do all the things that had been neglected the past few years.  We started talking about having a baby.

True to our classic style, we wanted to make sure we covered our bases before we started trying.  I read "What to Expect Before you're Expecting", switched my beauty products to all-natural and safe (for my benefit as well as the baby's), and began eating very healthy (real food as opposed to so much processed crap).  We got the house unpacked and made a list of what would need finished before our family grew.  I went to the doctor to make sure everything was good to go.  And then we were ready, and oh so excited!! 

How did you find out you were pregnant?
On March 13th, I started coming down with a cold.  My throat and ears were miserable, and I could tell I had a slight fever.  I was ready to take some meds when I decided to take a pregnancy test first (before popping all that Advil).  I knew I probably wasn't pregnant, we had only been trying for a couple of weeks, but I had some tests on hand (from a sale, of course) so I figured it couldn't hurt.  I couldn't believe my eyes when it was positive!  I called Mark upstairs and he couldn't believe it either!  There wasn't much celebrating because it was still so early (and I was so miserable) so I called the doctor and set up an appointment for the next day to confirm.  And confirm she did!  Along with that test I was tested for strep and influenza.  They came back negative so she sent me home with directions to rest and take Tylenol to keep the fever down.  That was Thursday.  By Saturday night my fever was over 101, and I couldn't sleep, eat, or drink.  We ended up going to the ER and I had a double ear infection.  They gave me amoxicillan and I still couldn't function until the following Tuesday.  It was a miserable week.

How were you feeling emotionally in the beginning?
It didn't matter how much we planned, or how careful I was about my health, I still ended up sick and on medication.  Life doesn't go as planned, even when you take your time doing so.  Naturally I was upset in the beginning to kick off my first pregnancy like this, but that's life.  My sister-in-law, who is one of my best friends in the entire world, reassured me that taking medicine is better than the baby being subjected to an infection in your body, and that immediately made me feel better.  Gradually nerves and excitement replaced the disappointment.

Were you sick at all?
Other than the ear infections?  No!  Not at all!  I keep hearing how lucky I am, and since it's my first I believe them!  No morning sickness or nausea at all.  Around month two I was so so tired though.  We're talking falling asleep on the couch at 7:00 every night!  My usually clean house got out of control!  I was really lucky to not be working at the time.

Any cravings?
Grilled cheese sandwiches!  I bet I've had 50 since I've been pregnant.  While I haven't been sick, I haven't been able to eat the kind of meals I used to.  Mainly I crave comfort foods...pasta, mac & cheese, pizza, cereal.  Makes it difficult to eat healthy!  Now that I'm almost through the first trimester I feel better and am back to eating better.

How did you tell family and friends?
We told my brother-in-law and sister-in-law first.  We weren't going to tell anyone until the 1st trimester was over, but I was overwhelmed with the medical stuff...what tests do I want, insurance, is that really harmful to the baby?  My sis has had 4 babies, she's a nurse, and we share the same doctor.  I felt so much better after telling!  I also told my own sister, of course.  We waited until Mother's Day to tell everyone else.  We got our moms a "Grandma" card that said "Since I can't be here today, give yourself a great big hug and I'll see you in November.  Love Mark, Brooke, and Baby."  It was so exciting to watch their faces as they figured it out!  Then we put this picture on Facebook that night:

 
Spending my first Mother's Day studying with my little buddy.  6 months until the final...
When are you due?
November 26th.  Two days before Thanksgiving!  Going to have a lot more to be thankful for this year.

Will you find out the gender?
Yes!  Remember we're planners?  We already have names picked out too!!

Belly pictures?
I am showing already!  I'm only 5'3", so I'm sure I'll get huge!!



No comments:

Post a Comment